Friday 9 September 2011

Summertime Blues


Thank heavens for Friday. I have been rushed off my feet this week. There’s been no gentle easing back into work after our holiday, it’s been chaos from start to finish. 

Someone asked me why I was looking so wistful, and occasionally pained, on Monday. I replied that I was thinking and I hadn’t had to do much of that during the previous week. When I was laid on a sunbed in a charming resort in Majorca the only things I needed to really consider was whether I was going to go for a dip in the pool or have another drink. That kind of decision doesn’t take much in the way of serious thinking.

Consequently my brain has been slopping about my head this week like a congealed rice pudding. Staring blankly into space has become the norm and rudimentary thought processes have required me to self-flagellate my skull with a ball point pen to spark the old grey matter into life. 

It’s now the end of my first week back at work and already that sun lounger is becoming a distant memory. The heat of the Majorcan sun is fading (even if the present Mrs Hayward’s tan isn’t) and the taste of freshly cooked Tapas has been replaced by the taste of vending machine cardboard-flavoured tea.

My melancholy has come about because we had a really nice holiday. We’ve never been on holiday with friends before but it was a very nice experience. We laughed, we drank, we swam, we drank, we ate, we drank, we ran (you what?), we drank, you know how it is, all good fun. 

Well maybe apart from the running bit. That hurt. My lungs were at risk of exploding thanks to the humidity so I only did it the once, I was on holiday after all. Oh and my liver? Well, as we all know, it is evil and it must be punished.

So here’s to holidays and sunshine and fizzy Spanish beer. Oh, and cats. Many cats, although their presence hasn’t softened Mrs Hayward’s attitude to them, despite getting the chance to name one. She called it ‘Dog’. 

I will most likely regale more tales from the Balearics in the coming days and weeks, for a start I need to get your opinions on the unwritten rules of ‘I Spy’, but for now I shall turn my brain off until Monday morning.

Adios!


1 comment:

  1. I loved this Terry. So glad you enjoyed the hol too. We did. Can't wait to go back and do it again. As for running, you were fab! You should have come with us again. Good luck for the 9th xx

    ReplyDelete