Sunday 27 January 2013

Say What You See


Whilst traversing through the world we often engage in brief conversations with all manner of people. Most often they are just polite acknowledgements, a cheery “Good morning”, unless it’s the afternoon of course.

We’ve all trod that fine line around midday where we’ve wished a stranger “Good morning” and you realise you’ve engaged with some clock-watching pedant who feels compelled to correct you that it’s now three minutes past twelve and so it should really be “Good afternoon’, whereupon you pick up a stray tree branch and bludgeon them to death, or at the very least wonder why you bothered in the first place. If you stick to “Hello” you should be on safer ground chronologically speaking.

The recent cold snap has meant that certain people I have encountered have felt obliged to go into more depth and ask my opinion on things, which makes me realise that I need to be more conscious of what I’m wearing. You see I’ve been wearing my woolly hat more often, but it is a hat that bears the logo of Southampton Football Club. Therefore, I have found myself in the past couple of weeks being questioned about the recent sacking of our manager, a certain Mr Adkins, and the replacement with one Senor Pochettino.

The problem is that I don’t have a view. Yes, it was surprising, but it’s football. I’m sure he’ll either be good at his job or he won’t. Yes, I care, even more so after an ale or two, but the rest of the time, c’est la vie.

So, after the initial confusion of being asked “What do you think of the new manager?” whilst I’m scraping ice off the car, the conversation doesn’t really have a lot of legs.

The problem gets worse when people strike up a conversation out of nowhere and with no context. There I was in Tesco, trying to get out with my small amount of shopping as quickly and efficiently as possible by using the self service machine when one of the staff caught my eye and said to me, “I like the food there”. I looked down at my basket full of pizza and ice cream and wondered what in particular had caught his eye when he followed this up with “I was there yesterday lunchtime”.

I’m told that my face gives away what I’m saying so he must have seen a face that said “What on earth are you waffling on about?”

He attempted to help, “Do you work there?”

It was only whilst I was forming the words “Work where?” when I realised I was wearing a polo shirt bearing the name of my local pub. I’d got it for free at their 10th anniversary bash and had slung it on for my brief sojourn for wine and sustenance.

I put him right but he seemed a little disappointed with this response and I went away feeling as if I’d let him down somehow, despite the fact that I never started the damned conversation in the first place.

Finally, this morning I was approached in the gym by a ruddy-faced man with a bushy ginger beard who informed me that he agreed with me.

I momentarily considered the many ill-informed and downright illogical beliefs I hold and wondered which one it was he might agree with. Could it be that he agrees that the universe is just a small particle of dust, like the sort that catches your eye at home when it passes through the sunlight streaming through the window? Maybe he agreed that it’s possible to be trapped inside a dream (it happened to me, but that’s another story)? Or could it be that he agrees that if you drink beer after drinking spirits it will sober you up?

Then I realised that the hairy fellow was looking towards my torso and wasn’t necessarily admiring my newly emerging abdominal muscles that are presently involved in a gruesome and fruitless territorial battle with my stomach, but was in fact staring at my t-shirt, which bore the phrase ‘Running Sucks’.

So, the lesson here is, I need to look in the mirror before I leave the house to remind myself of the talking points that may arise from my choice of clothing and prepare more interesting responses than, “Er…yeah”.

The alternative of course is not to go out, or at least not when sober.



1 comment:

  1. Just wear the shirt I have for years. "Fuck off you tedious cunts I hate you all" Or is that in my head? Grow a beard, no one talks to you then...

    ReplyDelete