Tuesday 2 July 2013

Under the Sun


I've previously reflected within this blog that I really don't learn from my mistakes, and thus I am doomed to spend the rest of my life repeating the same stupid things over and over again.

For instance, you would think that if you suffered from sunburn once you would vow never ever to suffer that pain again. Apparently though I seem to welcome sunburn as if it's an old friend.

Let's just examine the evidence for a moment.

2004. Lanzarote. 
Ignoring the fact that I was holidaying near the Equator in the middle of July I failed to remember that I might need to apply some sun cream on my back as I took a tentative venture into the warm Mediterranean Sea. In just a short 20 minutes my back and shoulders were grilled like a piece of smoked bacon. For the following days I couldn't put on a shirt without weeping. I made the best of it, it was my honeymoon after all, and despite the pain I still managed to bop to the Bulgarian Bee Gees who were playing in our hotel. Mind you, the 2 for 1 Cocktail hour helped to ease the pain a little. I vowed, of course, never to get sunburnt again. 

2009. Somewhere in the south of France. 
It was a windy day but the sun was shining as we ventured to the pool. Paying more attention to the wind than the sun I failed to apply any suncream to my pale white legs. They burnt. For the rest of the week I avoided trousers and every time I went to the shower I had to dance around so as to avoid too much direct water contact with my legs, because instead of soft and gentle water pouring down my body I felt like I was being bombarded with sharpened hailstones. I vowed, of course, never to get sunburnt again.

2013. Bournemouth. Yes, Bournemouth. 
I was being sensible, at least to start with. I'd stopped on my way to the beach and bought some sun cream. I applied it carefully and liberally across my face and arms. Before extending this operation to the rest of my body I fell asleep on a sun lounger. Some hours later I awoke wondering why my knees felt a little warm. I applied some sun cream but unfortunately it was too late. My legs looked like giant Saveloys, my right foot had increased in size by about a third, and the burn marks on my calves looked like I'd been involved in some sort of industrial accident with hazardous chemicals. I have vowed, of course, never to get sunburnt again.

Time will tell of course, but my track record with this kind of thing isn't exactly encouraging. 

All I can tell you is: don't do it. Its not worth the pain. Just because I have the memory of a goldfish with Alzheimer's doesn't mean to say you shouldn't learn from my mistakes. 

In fact if just one person remembers my idiocy on a hot summers day and applies sun cream when they may not have done normally, I will feel that I've done my public duty.

Just stick the knighthood in the post. Ta! 





No comments:

Post a Comment