Monday 3 January 2011

Fit as a (large) Fiddle

I used my new Wii Fit Balance board for the first time yesterday. Anyone who has done likewise will have had the same experience as me. To get to the fun and games you seem to have to confess to being an overweight and unhealthy slob and set targets to improve your health. All of these shameful and embarrassing confessions are played out in front of a gurgling and chirruping machine that warns me that I am so unfit that I will probably die very soon, probably whilst I’m on my way to the fridge to check out that slab of Stilton that’s been demanding my attention and offending the nose of the present Mrs Hayward. It has even made me commit to losing some weight in a couple of months and, rather disappointingly, made my little Mii character slightly more portly than I’d designed him.

Don’t get me wrong, the Wii Fit Board is a marvellous little bit of kit and once it’s told me the sad news that I’m so hideously obese that I may have to take down a wall to get out of the house and that I lean to the left a bit (although that could be to the right as I had the board round the wrong way for a time) the games are fun, and this is the point of it. It’s a gaming device rather than a miracle weight losing machine for those of ample girth, despite what Helen Mirren says.

So for a real improvement to my fitness I’ve committed to a couple of New Year resolutions that will either be ‘kill or cure’. One is to do a fun run in Peterborough in October. I don’t like running unless it’s to the bar at last orders so I’m chalking this one up to a mid-life crisis in the same vein as last year’s plan to walk up Mount Snowdon.

Added to that list is learning to swim. Yes, I know, I should be able to do this at my age but I can’t and somewhere along the line I gained a fear of being more than waist deep in water. I particularly don’t like swimming pools because they’re slippery so heaven help the person who tries to teach me to swim.

I also have a secret resolution to watch less reality TV and go to the pub more, but I don’t think my Wii Fitness trainer will approve, so I won’t mention it, not just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment